Windows DNS Log Analyser is a free utility that will read and analyse your Windows Server (2000, 2003, 2008) DNS Log.
Your DNS log holds the answer to many network problems, and using this tool can help you track down problems on your network,
even if those problems are silent, and help you optimise your home or corporate network. For example:
- Malware (botnets, adware, spyware, mailers etc) will often use DNS to lookup target and home addresses. The analyser
will quickly show you the most active client, and requested host, enabling you to detect unusual activity.
- Every website that is browsed requires a DNS query. The analyser can show you which websites are the most commonly
requested without the need to install client software, or use a proxy server.
- Like it or not, IPv6 is coming, and even if you haven't specifically configured IPv6 anywhere, the analyser can show you what AAAA requests
are being made, and by which clients.
- The analyser will help you track down poorly configured applications and clients that are making requests that the DNS server cannot resolve.
- Find out which hosts are being refused SOA requests
- Filter your log by request direction (Snd/Rcv), by response (SERVFAIL, NXDOMAIN, REFUSED, NOERROR), or by text string in the query
WinDNSLogAnalyser is designed to run on Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and can read DNS logs generated by any Windows Server. It requires the
Microsoft .NET 4 framework which will be installed during setup if not already present.
FAQ documentation can be found here. Version information can be found here
WinDNSLogAnalyser is free to use for everyone - corporate, education or personal.
You can download WinDNSLogAnalyser by completing the details below.
* We will not use your email address for marketing purposes or pass it to any third party. We will only contact you in the event of major re-release of WinDNSLogAnalyser.